Monday, April 23, 2012

Simply Grace.


My B. Friend gave me a book for Christmas. It's called "One Thousand Gifts", and it was written by Ann Voskamp. Katie thought I'd enjoy this book because I had recently set out on a journey to be more grateful for the little things, and that is essentially what Ann's book is about. I knew as soon as I started it, this book was going to be a big deal. And I was right. I'm pretty sure I've underlined 50% of what I've read so far.
I was delighted to find that Ann also has a blog where she writes almost every day. You can find it here.  [as a side note, her blog has excellent background music!] I've also found countless phrases of wisdom on Ann's blog, and have started a notebook with quotes from the book and the blog that I want to remember or ruminate on for a little longer.
One thing that Ann says frequently...but I didn't quite understand until today...is "All's grace." She was featured on The Today Show, and she said "It's grace to be here." I kind of just chocked it up to being a Canadian thing that, as a Deep Southerner, I would never understand. I was wrong. Today, Ann posted on her blog about forgiving our enemies. She included a prayer that she sometimes prays as she's sitting and knitting at the end of a day. This is what it says:


Bless my enemies, O Lord. Even I bless them and do not curse them.

Enemies have driven me into your embrace more than friends have.
Enemies have loosed me from earth more than friends have…
Enemies have made me a hunted animal,
finding safer shelter than an unhunted animal does.
I found safest sanctuary in You…may too my enemies-made-grace.
I found greatest grace in You… may my enemies-made-grace
find Your generous grace alive and radical in me.
I found fullest forgiveness in You…
may my enemies-made-grace find faith and freedom in You
and Your forgiveness working surprising ways in me.
The longer I walk with you, Lord, I find I have no enemies:
only your gift of chisels etching me deep.
Bless my enemies, O Lord. Even I bless them and do not curse them.

 Enemies. Made. Grace.
"The longer I walk with you, Lord, I find I have no enemies: only your gift of chisels etching me deep."
All's grace. My enemies have been made grace because God uses them to shape me and mold me and form me into who He wants me to be.

 
"We are assured and know that [God being a partner in their labor] all things work together and are [fitting into a plan] for good to and for those who love God and are called according to [His] design and purpose."
Romans 8:28 (AMP)

All things work together. Enemies and friends. Good and bad. Easy and hard. Comfortable and awkward. All things work together because God is a partner in their labor. He shapes everything to work together for my good because I love Him and am called according to His design and purpose.
Praise the Lord!
All is Grace...

Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment