Friday, October 25, 2013

Day 25: Time

I am not good at time. I'm notoriously late to everything. My friends used to tell me to get places 30 minutes before they actually started so I'd be there on time. One time I actually showed up at the time they told me, and they were all shocked. Good times. I'm a teensy bit better about it these days, but not really. The truth is, I have NO concept of how long it takes me to do anything. Also. I tend to forget to start things until the last minute. Whether that is getting ready or cleaning or getting out of bed...everything. I know that I function better and I'm happier when I have plenty of time to do things and get places. But sometimes my procrastinating, lazy side wins out. I hate that. I don't want to be known for that forever. Today, I failed at changing my habits. I didn't allow enough time for everything I needed to do this morning.

My mom and sister will be here tonight, and my room is currently a giant pile of clothes. So when I get home today, I'm going to put those clothes away and change the sheets on my bed and try to make some open space for them to live in this weekend. They'll only be here for a few days, but there is something deep inside of me that wants to be a good hostess. So I'll try with the space I have. I hope to one day have a house where people feel welcomed and loved. Where the girls in my Sunday School class can come and bake cookies and pile up on the furniture and sleep over. Where students can spread out and eat snacks and stay up all night talking (girls) or wrestling in the basement (boys) during weekend retreats. I don't care what it looks like or if it's brand new or has the nicest appliances and newest style of hardwood floors. I just want it to be open. And feel like home. The older I get, the more I appreciate the stuff that really matters, and it's not stuff at all. It's people. People matter. I want my life to reflect that. THAT'S what I want to be known for forever. Not for being late. But for noticing people and making them feel like they matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment